How to delete taxon trees

Home Forums User Forum How to delete taxon trees

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Norine Spears Norine Spears 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Grau

Hello!

Unfortunately, I uploaded a faulty taxon tree. I now want to delete the old taxon tree. Is there a way to do this? Using the MySQL Workbench (not the specify Workbench), I would have to set the keys to ON DELETE CASCADE, which I don’t wannt to do as I am not good at sql programming.

Is there a features in specify, that allows the admin user to delete taxon trees?

Thank you!

Norine Spears
    Norine Spears

Hi Grau,

You can delete a tree that is not associated with collection objects by deleting the top node of the tree (typically Kingdom). Right-mouse-click on the top node and you are given a dialog of options. Delete will be available if there are no associations to collection objects.

If you do have associations between your collection objects (specimens) and tree taxonomy nodes, then deleting the tree nodes will delete these associations and you would need to re-establish them. You should proceed with caution and consider your options. We appreciate your apprehension in working with MySQL if you are not familiar with databases. If you do not have access to IT support our engineers are happy to assist you through our Data Cleanup Management services. We are happy to discuss your situation with you.

Sincerely,
    – Norine

Grau

Dear Norine,

thank you for your answer. However, the delete option does not appear (it is greyed out). I waited 30 minutes(!), because I realized that sometimes it needs a few seconds to become click-able. Did not happen. There were no collection objects associated. I am also the admin of this database so I should have all the rights. No one else was logged in at that time.

The delete option does work when I try to delete a genus or species. I think, the bigger the tree is the longer the delete option needs to appear. If you try to delete a whole kingdom, division, or phylum it takes forever.

Norine Spears
    Norine Spears

Hi Grau,

You are very observant! Yes, the Delete will be disabled as Specify checks each node on the tree to ensure there are no associations — and this can take time depending on the size of your tree and your CPU performance. Therefore, the lower the node, the less time it takes to check for these associations.

To make the Taxon table work in trees each node has to be numbered in the database – and then renumbered with each change; therefore, after you delete a node Specify then has to work in the background to update the tree. So, when you right-mouse-click on the next node, to delete it, Specify is very likely still updating and once that is finished starts all over checking each node for associations.

Of course, the alternative is to perform the deletion in MySQL and we are happy to discuss this with you.

Sincerely,
    – Norine

Grau

Thank you for your answer =)
    I managed to delete the tree via mysql!

Norine Spears
    Norine Spears

Fantastic job!
    – Norine

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.