How to enter new specimen identifications, determinations?

Home Forums User Forum How to enter new specimen identifications, determinations?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Norine Spears Norine Spears 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bhammel

I’m a new user of Specify7, botanist, used to Tropicos and ATTA. Is there an efficient way to enter new dets.? In my work, one can have many specimens that need to be reidentified, eg., 50+ specimens of Psychotria elata to Palicourea elata. It appears that one begins the query, selects the specimen, taxon, identifier, date etc., then save and must go all the way out to begin the query, forced to once again select all those things that are repeated for the many specimens at hand, i.e., taxon, identifier, date. Would be much more efficient for herbarium work if there were a page that came up within which one could select the all the necessary data, and leave what doesn’t change, simply moving, so to speak, from one specimen to the next. Is that possible in Specify?

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  bhammel.
    Norine Spears
    Norine Spears

Hi B Hammel,

Thank you for posting on our user forum. Unfortunately, the tool that you will want to use is not available in Specify 7. If you connect to Specify 6 instead, you can use Batch Re-Identify. The following was pasted from the user documentation:

Batch Identify allows users to create and/or update the determination information for several collection objects at one time.

If several collection objects will be updated it is recommended that you create a record set of the collection objects before launching Batch Identify.

Choose Data > Batch Identify in the main menu.
    A dialog will appear asking for either catalog numbers or record sets (if applicable).

Choose to either enter catalog numbers, separated by commas, or choose a record set.
    A determination form will appear as well as a table listing the catalog numbers of the affected records.

Fill in the appropriate information in the determination form and click ‘Save’.
    A new determination will be created for each of the collection objects and it will be made current. If no determination exists, a determination will be created.

thanks,
    – Norine

bhammel

Thanks Norine. In the interim, my wife and I, novices to this system that we are, figured out by trial and error how to create a batch of records; by selecting the “in” operative instead of “=” That alone is a big help. So tell me this; why in the world would Specify 7, presumably a more recent, improved? version after S6, *not* have something so useful (necessary if you ask me) as the ability to batch identify? More to your message, what do you mean by “If you connect to Specify 6 instead…?” The institution (Museo Nacional de Costa Rica) through which website we are working to make these determinations, uses Specify 7. Your suggestion that we connect to Specify 6 instead, makes no sense to me. Cheers, Barry

Norine Spears
    Norine Spears

Hi Barry,

Specify 7 was released containing a subset of the features in Specify 6, and our engineers continue to add functionality. As we transition to a membership consortium, our members and advisory teams will play a significant role in identifying our priorities for future development.

At this time, Specify 6 and Specify 7 use the same schema and database, and it is necessary to setup Sp 6 in order to customize both systems; therefore, Museo Nacional de Costa Rica has a running copy of Specify 6. You can utilize features uniquely available in Sp 6 by remote connecting to the server and logging-in to Sp 6 (typically via SSH). Museo Nacional de Costa Rica has a very knowledgeable and helpful IT staff who we’re sure can help you with this arrangement.

cheers,
    – Norine

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.